Welcome to Student Support Services in School District #62 (Sooke). Our District Team works together on behalf of all students in our school district to ensure the best service possible. Our work together is guided by the Principles of Learning:
- Learning requires the active participation of the learner.
- People learn in different ways and at different rates.
- Learning is an individual and a social process.
Additionally, as a team of professionals working together in support of student learning, we believe . . .
- in the value of understanding the "whole" learner; their strengths, weaknesses, and individuality.
- in the Rights of the learner, that include fairness, equity, and opportunity.
- that every student should be regarded and valued as a person.
- that we play an important role in the life of a student, and we can make a difference.
Shared Belief: Attributes of a Fully Enabled Learner
In relation to our Core Beliefs, we also believe the key and essential attributes of a learner are . . .
- BELONGING: a sense of connection to something (i.e. school) and with others. They take part in a safe and caring environment and relationships.
- COMPETENCE: they experience success as defined by their unique needs as an individual. They also have a sense of ownership of their own learning.
- SELF-DETERMINATION: they have a well developed sense of social identity. They see the opportunities the world has and their place in it. They feel confident and independent, and are able to advocate for themselves.