Welcome to Student Support Services in School District #62 (Sooke). Our District Team works together on behalf of all students in our school district to ensure the best service possible. Our work together is guided by the:
Principles of Learning
- Learning requires the active participation of the learner.
People learn in different ways and at different rates.
- Learning is an individual and social process.
Additionally, as a team of professionals working together in support of student learning, we believe:
- in the value of understanding the "whole" learner; their strengths, weaknesses and individuality.
- in the rights of the learner, including fairness, equity and opportunity.
- that every student should be regarded and valued as a person.
- that we play an important role in the life of a student and that we can make a difference.
Shared Belief: Attributes of a Fully Enabled Learner
In relation to our core beliefs, we also believe the key to essential attributes of a learner are:
- Belonging - A sense of connection to something (i.e. school) and with others. Taking part in safe and caring environments and relationships.
- Competence - Experiencing success as defined by the unique needs as an individual. Ownership over one's own learning.
- Self Determination - A well-developed sense of social identity. The ability to see the opportunities the world has and how they fit into them. Feeling confident and independent with the ability to advocate for one's self.