The early years (from birth to age 8) are a critically important time in human development. Research tells us that these years set the foundation for lifelong learning. Our early learning philosophies are supported and guided by the British Columbia Early Learning Framework. To support families with children ages 0 to 5 years old, SD62 is happy to offer various free programs such as Strong Start, Ready, Set, Learn and Ready, Set, Read.
Sooke Family Resource Society Links:
Welcome to Kindergarten (WtK) Learning Through Play
This Welcome to Kindergarten publication has been shared directly with families who have registered their child(ren) to start school in September 2022. It is important this resource is available to all families with young children in our learning community. Each issue provides activities (literacy, math, creative exploration, social-emotional learning, etc.) that promote play for families with their children.
Link to current issue: WtK Learning Through Play.
Strong Start BC
Strong Start runs from September to June.
How to Register
To register, please stop into the school office. The following is required:
- Before entering the school, please complete health awareness. Please stay home if your child is ill.
- Participants must bring their child’s birth certificate or passport to pre-register for this free drop-in program.
- Space is limited each day on a first come, first serve basis.
Questions? Send us an email.
What is Strong Start BC?
Qualified early childhood educators lead learning activities where children find opportunities to make friends and interact with others of similar ages. Participate with your young child (aged birth to five) in play-based early learning activities – including stories, music and art. This is a free program for families that helps prepare children for success in Kindergarten.
Where is Strong StartBC offered?
The Strong StartBC will begin starting Monday, September 26, 2022 and follows the SD62 Calendar. Please contact the individual school for questions about programming, closures and registration.
When programming is outdoors, please ensure your child(ren) are dressed for the weather.
- 8:40 - 11:40 a.m. | Monday - Friday (indoors)
Address: 3000 Wishart Road, Victoria, BC V9C 1P4
Office: (250) 478-2332
Hans Helgesen Elementary
8:30 - 11:30 a.m. | Tuesday (indoors)
12:30 - 3:00 p.m. | Wednesday (outdoors, please dress for the weather)
- Monthly rotating locations
- 1st Wednesday of the month - Whitty's Lagoon
- Week 2 - Royal Bay Park
- Week 3 - Honeycrisp Park
- Week 4 - Juan de Fuca Park
Address: 4983 Rocky Point Road. Victoria, BC V9C 4G4
Office: (250) 478-3431
John Muir Elementary
- 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. | Monday & Thursday (indoors)
- 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. | Wednesday & Friday (outdoors)
- 12:30 - 3:30 p.m. | Tuesday (outdoors)
7179 West Coast Road, Sooke, BC V9Z 0R7
Ruth King Elementary
- 8:45 - 11:15 a.m. | Monday, Wednesday, Friday (indoors)
- Tuesday & Thursday 8:30 at the school OR meet at 8:45 at Centennial Park on Carlow Road – 11:15 return walk to school for 11:30 (outdoors)
Address: 2764 Jacklin Road, Victoria, BC V9B 3X6
Office: (250) 478-8368
- 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. | Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday (indoors)
- 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. | Thursday (outdoors)
Address: 626 Hoylake Road, Victoria, BC V9B 3P7
Office: (250) 478-8348
- 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. | Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (indoors)
- 8:30 - 11:30 a.m. | Tuesday (outdoors)
Address: 2939 Mt. Wells Drive, Victoria, BC V9B 4T4
Office: (250) 478-1213
Ready, Set, Read!
This is an evening program for children birth through 5 years old. Facilitated by Strong Start coordinators, this event is a fun and free evening for children and their families.
Play games, enjoy snacks and listen to a few delightful stories and songs. Running shoes suggested, wear pajamas if you like!
This great event is offered at each elementary school in SD62. Stay tuned for the schedule of events and more details.
Questions? Send us an email.