The Nature Kindergarten program in SD62 was one of the first of its kind in Canada when it was piloted in September 2012. Its popularity and success have turned the program into an annual option for parents.
Students spend every morning outside, rain or shine, in natural settings (primarily on the property of Royal Roads University – Sangster students; T’Sou-ke Nation lands – Saseenos students). Students then return to school for their lunch and remain in the classroom during the rest of the afternoon for indoor learning.
Nature Kindergarten is available at the following schools:
To register, children must turn five years of age by December 31 in the same calendar year that they begin school.
Lottery system for kindergarten registration
Due to high demand for Nature Kindergarten, if a school receives more registrations than the number of available seats, a lottery will take place. The lottery will follow the unique enrolment priorities for Nature Kindergarten and students will be placed in the order in which they are drawn.
The first nine in-catchment girls and nine boys as well as two aboriginal students drawn will be placed. Out of district requests will be considered only after in-district requests.
How to register:
1. Attend a Nature K parent information session prior to registration
- Sangster Elementary
- Thursday, January 9, 6:30 p.m.
- Saseenos Elementary
- Saturday, January 11, 10:30 a.m.
2. Read the Registration Guide to make sure you have the required documents ready to upload during registration. After after uploading, please present original documents to your school once registration has been confirmed. We will accept original documents only – no exceptions. Students will not be officially registered until all documentation has been received.
3. Online at registration.sd62.bc.ca
Registration for the 2020 - 2021 school year:
JANUARY 13 - JANUARY 17, 2020
Beginning at 8:00 a.m.
New immigrant families (permanent residents, refugees or those on work/study permit or diplomatic visas):
Please contact the SD62 International Office at 250-474-9818 or in person at 200-814 Goldstream Avenue before completing the online registration.