The School Change Request Period for the 2023/24 school year is closed. Please contact your school directly for questions about school changes.
Parents wanting to register their child for a school other than their in-catchment school must submit a School Change Request. Change Requests are not guaranteed.
School Catchment Requests follow our Student Enrolment Priorities. Only after a school’s space and resource capabilities have been determined will school change request be considered. In most cases, students will continue at their in-catchment school.
School Change Request Process
- Submit a School Change Request
- Dates: January 23 at 8:00 a.m. - February 3, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
- Open to students who were force transferred to an overflow school by the district or made the choice to leave their in-catchment school and would like to return.
- Open to students who are requesting a transfer to an out of catchment school.
Beginning on January 23, 2023, families who have students who have been force transferred to an overflow school (placed in an overflow school due to space constraints) must submit a School Change Request (SCR) form to return to their in-catchment school.
Families that would like to request a change to an out of catchment school may also apply at this time. Priority will be given to students who have been force transferred and would like to return to their in-catchment school.
If your school change request form was submitted prior to the Feb 3 cutoff at 3 p.m., you will receive a response by June 1, 2023 whether or not the change request can be accommodated.
A critical piece you should consider in this process is district provided transportation services (if applicable to your situation).
You decide not to apply for an SCR and are currently a "force transfer" student.
- Your child will no longer be considered a “force transfer” student. By not submitting an SCR to return to your in-catchment school, you will be choosing to continue at your current school through personal choice. As a result, you will be ineligible for district provided transportation services.
If you apply for an SCR to your in-catchment school but are not successful.
- Your child will still be considered a “force transfer” and you will be eligible for district provided transportation services.
You apply for an SCR to your in-catchment school and are successful.
- You can still apply for district provided transportation services; however, transportation registration is dependent on your primary home address and whether safe walking routes have been identified by the Transportation Department.
You apply for an out of catchment school and are successful.
- You are making a personal choice for your child to attend an out of catchment school and therefore ineligible for district provided transportation services.
In-catchment School is your designated neighbourhood school based on your home address.
Out of catchment School any school other than your designated neighbourhood school.
Overflow School when a neighbourhood school is at or over enrolment capacity, the district will designate an overflow school for additional registrations for students.
Force Transfer are students who cannot attend their in-catchment school due to space limitations. Students are placed into an overflow school at the direction of the district.
Eligible riders are considered to be those students travelling to their catchment school or students attending an educational program of choice or academy program not offered at their catchment school. Educational programs of choice are defined as:
- French Immersion
- Trades Awareness and Skills Knowledge
- Nature Kindergarten
School Change Requests received by 3:00 p.m. on February 3, 2023 will receive one of the responses below (by phone or email) before June 1, 2023:
- Pending (capacity and space review)
- Not approved