The health and well-being of people is critical to their lifelong learning and success.
Our district is committed to supporting the health and well-being of our school communities by supporting a comprehensive school health (CSH) approach. CSH is an internationally recognized framework for supporting improvements in students' educational outcomes while addressing school health in a planned, integrated and holistic way.
For a short explanation of CSH, check out this video.
Curious about the health and well-being of SD62 students? Check out this graphic, developed in collaboration with Island Health and other experts.
Isn't it a crazy time? Check out this printable poster. Helping youth know where to go for services is key. On that note, thanks to some SD62 youth and with the support of Island Health, UVic’s Centre for Youth and Society and the McCreary Centre Society, we now have the following poster that connects youth (et al) to a list of key youth focused services. This list will be updated frequently.
For more information on Healthy Schools in general go to Healthy Schools BC.
As part of our district’s commitment to promoting health and well-being for all, we produce monthly bulletins full of tips and resources we hope you find helpful. Have feedback or topics you’d like to see addressed? We’d love to hear from you. Email HealthySchools@sd62.bc.ca.
School-based and Community Wellness Centres for Youth
Each week, a wellness centre operates in each of our three secondary schools to assist youth with a variety of medical resources, from sexual and mental health to counselling. Visit the Island Health School-Based Wellness Centres page for information on services, times and locations.
Healthy Schools, Healthy People Newsletter
Published monthly for our SD62 families, each newsletter is filled with evidence-backed, family-friendly tips and resources.
- October, 2021
- September, 2021
- June, 2021
- May, 2021
- April, 2021
- March, 2021
- February, 2021
- January, 2021
- December, 2020
- November, 2020
- October, 2020
- September, 2020
- June, 2020
- May, 2020
- April, 2020
- March, 2020
- February, 2020
- January, 2020
- December, 2019
- November, 2019
- October, 2019
- September, 2019
Healthy Living Resources
- Virtual Health Services: Access to consultations with healthcare providers, programs, or general information related to mental and physical health. Individuals can access these services from the comfort of their own home. These services are fully covered by MSP and offer a wide range of operational hours.
- From Island Health, tips and resources related to a wide variety of hot topics and much more of relevance to school aged children and youth via their Healthy Schools initiative.
- erase (expect respect & a safe education) is all about building safe and caring school communities. This includes empowering students, parents, educators and the community partners who support them to get help with challenges, report concerns to schools and learn about complex issues facing students. Included are resources related to bullying and violence, mental health, substance abuse, online safety, and sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Healthy Families BC and HealthLinkBC have a variety of health topics and links to various health services.
- Substance Use: Parents often wonder about the best way to protect their children when it comes to issues like alcohol and other drugs. Here are ten important tips parents can use to help their children (and others) navigate life successfully, including avoiding harm from alcohol and other drugs.
For more information and referrals to community services contact Island Health (Public Health) at 250-519-3400.